Salmon Unlimited Of Wisconsin

http://www.salmonunlimitedwisconsin.com
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wiegh In Problems
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:11 am 
Crew

I completely disagree with the comments made about the charters. I for one have done nothing but try and promote and make SAR succeed. I can not imagine Racine without it.

For my clients, out of towners or not, I gave the option to them to join SAR. They were well aware of the contest and all the circumstances surrounding it. It was on them to decide if they wanted to fish it or not. Most of my clients have set schedules and I fish around that. I can offer or suggest times to go fishing but ultimately it is their trip (If anyone thinks I wanted to fish 8am-1pm twice last week during the toughest fishing of the year, your crazy!). This includes making them aware of the weigh in times and possible time changes or assuring they could weigh in a fish the next day should that arise. If anyone had a charter group out later than 9pm and they had no arrangements to weigh in fish the next day, you have done a disservice to your clients.

As far as the real issue with the weigh in time not being up to everyone's standard, volunteer to work the weigh in tent from 9-10pm or later next year, just saying........

In regards to the contests within the contests, all us nostalgic SAR fishermen know, Super Sweepstakes has ALWAYS been the "contest within a contest." My dad won this his first time back in the early eighties. Two-In-A-Boat is probably at least 10 years old now too. I do not see how this is negatively effecting SAR. In fact my dock at Reef Point was full the first weekend of SAR with out of towners here to fish those contests. They may not have even entered SAR if it was not for the two contests opening weekend. The only issue I may contest to is not making everyone on the boat enter SAR too, like it used to be.

There is no way to make everyone happy. My only suggestion to those who would like to see some changes is to volunteer for SAR and to either become or remain active in Salmon Unlimited.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:14 am 
Crew

almost forgot, A HUGE thank you to Tom and everyone else who have brought Salmon A Rama back and who VOLUNTEERED countless hours of their time!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:03 pm 
Crew

Listen. No one is trying to hurt anyone's feelings on here. The bottom line is the number of contestants each year is becoming less and less. No changes have been made to try different things. If you can not take some ideas of trying to make things better and get people back to the tournament, then fine don't do anything and just keep running it the same way. Ticket sales were down two hundred this year and will be worse next year. Oh and a client should not have to go on a mid day trip when the fishing is not as good. You sir are doing a dis service to your client by not putting them on the best fishing possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:27 am 
Crew

In response to me doing a disservice to my clients by taking them out on a mid day trip, I will quote my previous post.

Quote:
Most of my clients have set schedules and I fish around that. I can offer or suggest times to go fishing but ultimately it is their trip (If anyone thinks I wanted to fish 8am-1pm twice last week during the toughest fishing of the year, your crazy!)

my feelings have not been hurt in anyway at all, that must have been directed at others and I sense a bit of that in your own tone. I completely understand the frustrations some are having with SAR. I think people need to understand that yes, SAR has been around for 30+ years, but this is only the second year of the "new" SAR. we are far ahead of what we had with the Big Fish Bash.

I certainly hope everyone can work together to try and help this thing work. Just A Angler, I would love for you to come down to my boat, and maybe we can get Tom down too, and have a beer or soda together and talk about your concerns and possible solutions. That invitation goes out to anyone else too. The First In is in Reef Point on dock E4 slip 9.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:37 pm 
Crew

Hey guy's,
Not everything has to be an arguement. I personally called Tom, and what a great guy to talk to. The problem as he stated was no one takes the time to explain reason's for change but just complain. i will be first to say that none of us wan't to see Salmon A Rama go anywhere.I stated before that it is a great time of the year to meet with family and friends. I will say that we offer the chance to get in the contest to all the charters we do during this time of year. They all seem excited until we go over the pro's and con's. The chance to win $10,000 is an eye opener, but when we get to the issue of weigh in it is sometimes a deal breaker. Clients from out of town may not be here for an extra day, or be able to miss the next day. I don't believe there is a volunteer that would want to work from 3-9 that is 6 hours, if you can work 7-10 which is 3 hours, but the main 3 hours that people are fishing. I also mainly see DNR staff working to keep fair, but they also benefit knowing fin clips and etc. They also can end controversy to the species of fish etc. I personally fished on Sun. this year and was welcomed to a congested harbor with the mouth of it cluttered by boats. if someone get's hit I think Salmon A Rama will come to an abrupt end. there is a safety principal and the looking out for the club as I discussed with Tom. I don't think 2 in a boat should be done away with, but it should be looked at for another day. I also discussed this with Tom and made some points that I think he was surprised made sense. I don't think people realize what will happen if on a crowded week end one of these boats hit a joy fisherman not in contest. You have to remember who is sponsoring the 2 in a boat for an Attorney definitely will. You need to have your butt covered in this day and age. None of this is really hurting charters and I don't think that was the message, but 1 hour of adjustment at weigh in can be a huge entry difference. I can't deny that things have gone downhill for years and I mean even and especially before Salmon Unlimited, but it can be turned around and may even be on it's way. I think we can all agree that maybe in a few years $25,000 will sound better than $10,000 but I do agree that a few minor changes can really help. We need outside participation, so let's welcome them and make them feel comfortable. For the volunteering I already told Tom I would help, so I must care for I am already rounding some things up for 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:17 am 
Crew

dear keith and tom,
my name is lee dutton, a su member and formerly owned flywasher tackle and embroidery.
out of respect to my club and its fellow members i would like to offer to keith for his "8th" place coho one of my embroidered fish cleaning aprons, with his boat name or personal name on it. if tom can verify you are a member of su i'll also embroider the su logo on it. i will also include some flies so keith's prize package will be approximately $50.00.
i feel its time to put all this to rest. keith gets a prize package, tom's working on improving the weigh in system, the sar committee will look over the tournament and consider revisions for next year.
mistakes are made by humans, perhaps by the volunteers, but also by every fisherman who didn't double check for themselves.
heck the supreme court election in wisconsin took 2 months to settle when someone forgot 1000's of votes!!!
that was a human mistake too, and they will make changes.
perhaps the BIGGEST MISTAKE made by EVERYONE is not volunteering for even a small amount of time to help with the tournament. maybe the volunteers were exhausted, but we ALL have ourselves to blame for that. i included.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:47 am 
Crew

Hi everyone, I have talked with Tom and he has a few good ideas how to end what has happened in my case and told me some things about how to end a few other problems that may occur, he has some pretty good ideas on how to get more people back to SAR and hopefully grow as big as it once was, we would all like that, i have 8 brothers and we have our own mini tourny's inside of SAR week, its a week that i thank SU's staff and volunteers for keeping it going, in the beginning i was the only one in the family fishing it, but once they got a taste of a screamer they were hooked, now there is 9 of us fishing SAR, in 4 different boats, 3 18ft's and 1 32ft, were moving up lol. this family will be in SAR aslong as it keeps going, which after talking to Tom i'm positive it will. Thankyou Tom for your hard work and time you put into SAR.

Now to the guy flywasher with the embroidered fish cleaning apron with his boat name on it, that sounds awsome, but me and a couple of brothers were talking about getting back into SU, we were in SU for around 10 years, and willing to volunteer any help, i better watch what i say, don't want the peeling potatoes job, ARMY taught me that one.

Thankyou all
Keith