Salmon Unlimited Of Wisconsin

http://www.salmonunlimitedwisconsin.com
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wiegh In Problems
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:15 pm 
Crew

Hi everyone i'm keith and been fishing the derby since salmon arama was started, ("GO SALMON SLAMMERS") i only missed 3 years while i was over seas in the military, on saturday i registerd 2 fish and my brother registered 1 fish, i registered a 16lb king and a 10lb coho, the problem is, The Laptop, although it is the way of the future for instant access and input to the web, the problem is while calling out the type,length,and wieght, it has to be remebered to enter it, with multiple entries you have to remember all the entries as they are called out, they are not writing them down and do not have any back up paperwork, so if someone misses a fish for any reason there is nothing to look back on, the person wieghing the fish would have to re-wiegh it to be accurate, i am a victum of this problem and been told for days were looking into it, and yet from higher sources been told they are not going to do anything about it, the 10.1 coho i caught would be in 5th place at the time i write this, but worse under master angler if i catch alot smaller coho it hurts me that way too, i have witnesses that watched me register the fish and will verify the fish i registered , and salmon arama officials think that the person that is inputing the fish is incapable of a mistake, which there is only 1 conclusion, they think i am lying, it was a simple mistake that they will not admit even though i have witnesses and said i would take the polygraph, i have no recourse for this matter but your opionions, its a tuff job to remember tpye,length,and wieght of fish as they are called out, scrolling though your laptop to find the person, then type of fish, then add the length then add the wieght, exspecially if the person wieghing the fish doesn't take his time and starts wiehing them faster then you can input them, humans make errors but the offcials in this case are just protecting themselves, they made a mistake, and can't bring themselves to admit it, it will probably cost me a place in the standings, the system isn't perfect, and no one can remember type of fish,length and wieght fast enough to be accurate, they should write them down and hand the piece of paper to someone that has the time to input the information without having to rush, or remember what they have heard.

sorry i blew up :(
but the worst part is the conclusion.
either i'm lying with credible witnesses,
or they just simply can't admit an honest mistake :(
sad but true

("GO SALMON SLAMMERS")

Post subject: Re: Wiegh In Problems
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:26 am 
Crew

Kieth,

Believe me this has not fell on deaf ears. I am the co-chairman of this even and have been drilling through everything known to man to find out about what happened to this fish. I'm not saying your a liar nor is any of the officials. The hard part about this is the DNR official does not remember, the time stamp between your fish and the next fish registered, why it took so long to realize that the fish did not make the board ( this one puzzles me since when I register a fish I know approximately the place on the board it will be and double check before th fish gets the knife )

I want to extend my sincere apology to you in person and let you know that the people down at the scale are not the end all be all and higher level officials are still looking into it.

As to the system. In years past there was way to many mistakes with the paper, lost sheets etc that I can't even count. Typo's while reading the paper and entering into the system etc. We are still looking for ways to streamline the process so people can see their results and prevent errors. The human factor is no excuse but just like everything else nothing is perfect. Again no excuse!

We are just in our second year and are trying to make this the premier tournament on the lake.

Please feel free to call me at your liesure at 414-758-4164 to discuss further. I understand your frustration!

Thanks
Tom Pietila
Co-Chairman, Salmon a Rama
President, Salmon Unlimited
414-758-4164

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:40 pm 
Crew

I will not name the vessel I captain, but as a captain and a long time angler in this event I find this inexcusable. I had the same problem as the other gentleman has stated. I weighed four fish at one time. Well I got home to see where I stood for the master angler so I could target the final fish I needed on the last day. Well to my surprise I had no rainbow, which I weighed with the other three fish that were on my catch log. Now that was the only rainbow I had landed. So now I have to go out on the final day and target a rainbow and a brown. Kind of hard to do when the browns are in shallow and the rainbows out deeper. So by this mistake I was taken out of the competition by a computer or a entry error by the person running it. This system needs to be fixed. People pay to be in this contest, the fish they catch should be counted!

As for the times the scale is open, that is just silly. If I am running an afternoon charter I run till dark. We can all agree that is around nine at night right? Well tell me why the scale is only open till nine? A customer can not take another day off of work just to weigh a fish in the next day. People say well just do it the next afternoon. That is non sense. Not only can the fish loose weight in that long amount of time, the customer pays good money for a charter and entry fee to fish in this. The least they should be able to do is weight their fish when they come in. The way this is being run is loosing entries by the day. It will be a shame when the contest is no longer around. And I also loose customers over the week the contest runs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:14 pm 
Crew

I have to agree 100% on this topic, and will add that charter boats should probably not recommend this tournament for out of town participants. This is a tournament designed for locals as it seems. You go on a charter and come from say Kentucky and you plan to fish for the day and catch a fish at 8:30 and boat can't pull all the lines and get in fast enough so you ask customer to get a motel and spend the night to weigh a fish that could possibly take tenth place and they win $50 bucks and payed more for the motel. I think the math say's it all. you also make the rest of crew suffer by ending trip early. I am not a hater of this tournament for I use to lose sleep preparing for it with anticipation, but the running of it has solved that problem. I would love to see it take off, but the weigh in should not be difficult to extend from 7-10 instead of ending at 9 when people are fishing. it has to be aimed at out of town friendly or turned into a purely club outing as it is now. People stress the Salmon-A-Rama tournament and it is turned into a club two in the boat or sweepstakes tournament. I have never heard of promoting a tournament that you want to succeed and adding a tournament inside of it the first 2 day's. The weigh in should have each person sign when weighed in what there total was and what fish they were. Problem solved. This should not be so difficult as it is being made. Promote the main tournament and stick with that before adding more. I have personally lost several friends who no longer have an interest in this tournament or coming for it. That was out of town money that promotes the whole area lost. I hope this is recognized before the whole tournament is lost.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:55 pm 
Crew

Just an angler, Kieth,

Glad to see your both in tune with this event. Salmon a Rama was gone "I hope this is recognized before the whole tournament is lost"! And was going down hill for years prior to the announcement of no 2010 Big Fish Bash/SAR due to loosing money. Had we not decided to take this on there would of been no SAR last year or this year.

As to the issues with the weigh in time. We do what we can with the help we have. The times have been pretty similar over the years and i'm glad to see how you turn this into hurting your charter business. You must be the exception to the rule in the charter business.... since some in Racine but most outside of racine have been more than helpful in promoting SAR. This included giving away free charters for the youth/kayak winners.

I'll gladly talk to someone face to face any time and any place about SAR and any issues that come from this event. Like I mentioned, we are a small group of people and are trying to improve the event. Issues will come up and we are in the process of fixing them. I've already mentioned this to Kieth. When you have this volume of contestants/fish there is some margin of error. I do apologize if there was an issue on your fish as well. If you read the rules you have 24hrs to protest a missing fish. Not saying it was your fault in any way but there is some personal responsibility people must take.

I'm not saying we are not at fault in any way but please sit back and look at this from my standpoint. We have volunteers "volunteers" that spend their entire weeks vacation to help support and promote this. They are just as tired as everyone else so i'm sure mistakes can be made.

Kieth, to your point of this is a two on a boat and supersweepstakes Salmon A Rama. That's just crazy! Two on a boat and Super Sweeps have been around for a long time and this is nothing new!

As to the issues with both of your fish. We are implementing some fail safes that will prevent fish from being missed for next year and you will be required to verify before the fish enter the system. Hopefully this will help eliminate a less than 1% margin of error thus far.

Anyone can get my contact info on my previous posting or continue to post on here
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:01 am 
Crew

Tom,
We all really appreciate Salmon Unlimited stepping forward and taking on this job. I am sure it is rewarding for the club in the long run, but comes with alot of headaches along the way. I truely believe that most want this tournament to stay around and be as strong as it once was. I don't believe that comments are coming to hurt the tournament, but to help make it stronger. I think we all understand that all problems can't be solved in one day, but there are things being said from people who are and have been frustrated. The negativity from out of town anglers is hurtful to all of us in the area. This tournament needs outside of the area participation to grow" I think we all can agree to that." The thing that shocks me is that all the complaints are revolved around the same issues, and have been for years. You say that when Salmon Unlimited took over it was going downhill, but the numbers continue to drop and none of us want that. I have friends who use to use vacation time for this tournament who no longer participate, because changes are needed. People feel that suggestions are falling on deaf ears and not being looked into to help, and that frustrates many into not wanting to participate. I would be upset if things discontinued for this tournament for it is a great time for family and friends to get together. I know it dosen't hurt charters, and that wasn't being said. Charters however can't get people to participate with the hours, and that is easy enough to see. I don't own a charter, but know that charter captains inform clients of the tournament and this is outside participation an additional sales that can help. It may even bring clients back year after year with 4-6 people aboard each boat each trip and sometimes 2 trips a day. I don't see a charter boat hacking hours from the rest of clients to weigh in by 9:00 however, so money is lost with no participation. Clients from out of town don't wan't to stay an extra day to weigh in. I don't think you should get rid of 2 on a boat, but a different day would make people happy as I have heard. It also goes back to the weigh in issue. I would not wan't to dedicate a week-end with weigh in times to help with the inside the tournament's. I don't think a volunteer would mind an hour change from 10:00-12:00 and from 7:00-10:00. I don't see 3-9 for most head out at 4:00 in the afternoon and fish until dark. This gives you time to pull at dark and run in to weigh. This will allow charters to participate, and allow out of towners to fish until dark and benefit them as well as the locals. It also benefits Salmon Unlimited. I would rather get in and weigh at 9:30 have a beer and hotdog with friends than pick up lines at 8:15 and race to weigh in and than no time to get back out and mad and skip the concession and go home. This equals more concession sales. Happy people = sales, discouraged people= no sales. I suggested signing to varify fish last year to several Salmon Unlimited members, but it went nowhere. It would have solved that problem this year. I will add that a weigh in til 10:00 will also help with fish of the day. I am still lost at fish of the day, for it is actually fish of 2 day's. You can go bust your butt for a chinook, and it is already in a cooler from day before. I would suggest announcing the fish of the day at midnight the night before, and this will keep it fair. I personally like the two in a boat, but it should not be insulting the main tournament on opening week-end. This is the single most frustrating complaint people have. I have not talked to many who enjoy the time it is. This includes those who fish it. I know a guy who had family down and couldn't participate because family would have had to sit on shore. I also know a group of guy's who use vacation in the past, but the boat was doing it so they stayed home. Home was out of town so more revenue lost. People do get pushed, run over, crowded, and laws broken with 2 in a boat and to advertise Salmon-A-Rama all year and get out of towners here to do this is going to help ruin participation. I personally watched 9 guy's up and leave after planning on staying several day's. This is a great addition, but not on first week-end. These people will most likely not come back. I had friends who didn't come for the same reason Usually 4 guy's so more lost, and it goes on and on. This is the straw that is breaking the camel's back. I know locals like it, but it brings very few from out of the area. It is mostly anglers who would fish it anyway's so another day should be acceptable. I see a bunch of guy's who would fish together breaking up for the day and taking several boats instead of fishing together in a few boats. I watched 2 guy's in a huge altercation this year because one guy was yelling I have to net the f%%%&&g fish what you want me to do, as he run the other boat towards a third boat. This was not a good outing for my daughter to witness, as the language going back and forth takes the family participation out of the equation. I know it must be frustrating to work so hard, and be criticized. That isn't my intention but a few adjustments and this can be a premier event again. It was a tournament that was going downhill til Salmon Unlimited took over, so let's all try and learn from the old mistakes and get this back on top. I would personally like to have friends from out of town come visit me again and fish the tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:36 pm 
Crew

well here we are again, tournament is done for a couple days and yet no answer on the fish that you were all hoping would fall off the charts, unfortenately it stayed on and would have been 8th place Coho, well let me tell you how i feel, i'm pretty sure i was told your not done looking into it, but i guess you are, no response from anyone, and frankly after the hour conversation on the phone i thought you were actually going to do the right thing, but i guess everyone else was right and i was wrong, they said they are just blowing steam up my arse until the tourny is over and then forget about the whole thing, while i actually told them they were wrong, but i guess i was the one that was wrong. Just frustrating fishing 14 hours a day and to actually land a board fish and be told it doesn't exsist by no fault of myown is just so wrong its to hard to explain.

Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:21 pm 
Crew

Keith, I am sure that problems with weigh in will be resolved next year. I am sorry this happened but it will help Salmon-A-Rama learn and improve. This is not a bashing site for I as one would be upset not to be able to enjoy the tournament and see friends that normally don't come. I do hope that the club members look into some of the suggestions however for it could improve the contest and participation. I hope the idea of that's the way it was, so that's the way it is dosen't stick around. It is a great tournament and Salmon-A-Rama does alot for our fishery which I personally thank you for. I hope it isn't looked at as negativity, but a way to get more, and happy participants. The people out fishing and cleaning fish hear the pro's and con's. Fellow fisherman can be a great asset to helping, so please don't bash each other but work together. I tried to be professional with my opinions and hope not to stir negativity, but some issue's didn't work before and it is costing the club money as well as the community.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:41 pm 
Crew

All I ask of everyone who participates in SAR... If there is an issue please let me know ASAP so the issue can be addressed promptly!

I take everyones concerns to heart and to the decision makers of this event. I personally took this on because there was no one else who would. This was a huge undertaking along with all my other appointments....

Waiting until after the Tournament with an issue only allows me to react next year in most cases.

There will definately be an improvement next year to the scale area. We had plans to have auto entry at the scale but that fell through with the cost of the scale that would interface with the computer. Also next year in addition to the contestant verification for each weigh in session we will be recording the weigh in via CCTV that we can go back on. Double fail safe per say.

To just an angler. I personally appologize for the conversation we had earlier. I let my frustrations get the best of me and know that I went above and beyond my intent. Please at your liesure call me or schedule a time we could discuss further. Previous conversations with individuals and other issues put me on the attack mode vs. the resolution mode. Again sorry about that.

We "SAR" are in no way perfect and don't expect to be. But we are certainly moving in the right direction. With the economy the way it i'm surprised we got so close to last years numbers.

Again please dispute any issue you might have and please try to be positive if possible. The people who spend allot of time to keep this going are few and far between.

If you'd like to help please contact me. We can definately use it!

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:13 pm 
Crew

Tom,

I completely accept your apology. I am by no means trying to bash you or salmon a rama. I have fished this since I was a little kid and do not want to see SAR come to an end. I am sorry if my previous post rubbed anyone the wrong way. I just want to see improvements. I too want this to expand and be once what it was, but that means listening to the people who have fished this that are having problems. I have voiced my opinions and hold no hard feelings. I just hope things can change to bring in more fisherman to SAR.