Salmon Unlimited Of Wisconsin

http://www.salmonunlimitedwisconsin.com
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SALMON-A-RAMA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:24 pm 
Crew

I personally appreciate the efforts of Salmon Unlimited taking on the challenges of this long running tournament, and the efforts involved in keeping all participants happy. I have to admit that rule changes are definitely in order, and need immediate attention to keep people active and happy in future years. I can't believe that two in a boat and Sweepstakes are run on the first week-end. If the turn out is so good than skip Salmon-A-Rama and just run these tournaments. The main complaint is you invite people from out of town, and than send boats out with one guy fighting a fish and one guy netting a fish, and no driver. The current, speed, wind, etc. catch these boats and pretty soon they are out of control. There are rules for boat operations for who has the right of way and so on, and these are being ignored with no driver at times causing our out of town guests to be put in harms way. I talked to an individual from out of town who lost a 5 color and a 3 color lead when a boat drifted over his lines. These were also attached to boards which were not retrieved. He was upset and left to not return again. he said " I was invited to a tournament to be run over and sent home with additional costs". I was also amazed that the boats were staging in front of the harbor impeding the flow of traffic which is illegal, but seems to be an exception by committe. This is not up to Salmon-A-Rama officials to allow this, but yet it was brought on by them. The world does not end with this tournament, and there are still week-end anglers, Salmon-A-Rama anglers, and Charters who deserve to not be put in harms way with the blocking of the entrance. I would like to see how many anglers two in a boat bring in from out of town to participate. I know several people who use to have family and friends come from out of town and buy a ticket for Salmon-A-Rama who use there vacation time to fish Sat., Sun., and take Mon., and Tues. off to get the most out of vacation. I think we all try to use vacation with week-ends to get the most bang for our vacation. These inside tournaments drastically effect these people who no longer come, because of the tournaments inside of tournaments. I also know alot of people who did not get into 2 in a boat because family was in. These additional tournaments are great but not on first week-end interfering with the first 2 days. This is not a win, win for Salmon-A-Rama. This tournament needs outside participation to grow, as we see numbers down again. weigh in is a disaster with the station closing at 9;00. If 7:00 - 10:00 people can finish the night and run in after. If you went out of town to fish, just think of the inconvenience this causes and can ruin your night if you pick up at 8:00 to run in. If you have to work the next day it is also a waste of people's time. It isn't always the big things, but a little thought can go a long way. It should be a fun time, and not a hassle to participate.

Post subject: Re: SALMON-A-RAMA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:51 pm 
Crew

I too believe this is getting out of control. I lost two planner boards and lead core because a boat was not being controlled. The two in a boat needs to move either to the weekend before the contest or the weekend after. Coming out of the river mouth is far too dangerous. Guys are not paying attention to what they are doing. They are either rigging things to get ready to fish or bs ing with their buddy not paying attention to whats going on. You can not have almost a hundred boats congesting a small area. It is unsafe to all boaters. As for the fishing, everyone talks and knows about where the fish are. Well now get a hundred to two hundred boats fishing the same area. A two in the boat contestant gets a fish on, now their buddy has to come net the fish. Who is driving? Not safe when two hundred boats are fishing the same area. Things need to be fixed or this contest is going down the drain. The number of anglers in it every year is shrinking. Please try to fix some of the problems or none of us will be fishing this contest anymore, because it wont exist!

Post subject: Re: SALMON-A-RAMA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 am 
Crew

I fished nearly everyday during the ten day contest, usually twice a day. The only exceptions were the two days I was working at the fire house. I personally fished Super Sweepstakes and Two-On-A-Boat and had no issues with either as contests or other boats.

I did however run into some issues with other boats with what i felt was disrespect and lack of common sense the rest of the week. This was usually someone cutting me off, turning directly in front or in back of me, complete disregard of the "trolling pattern" of the other 99% of the boats, swooping in after I net a fish, parallel trolling me, etc, etc, etc. I have complete understanding and respect for someone fighting a fish or other circumstances, but this seemed to never be the case. I got to the point by the end of the week I was holding my course regardless.

Side note: I would like to extend an apology to anyone that I may have upset with my "bully" trolling by the end of the week. That is not usually my style. If I caused any problems, stop by my boat and I'll buy you a beer or soda and we can talk about it.

Bottom line, I do not think the Two-In-A-Boat contest is the real problem. Anytime you have a lot of boats trying to fish the same area, you are going to run into problems and the rare instances of people losing gear. I also believe this years tough fishing lead to more problems than normal. At times there was only a 1/2 mile stretch I could catch fish. This led to me and everyone else playing cut-throat for a very small area. Whether you are fishing during SAR or just a random summer evening, I think people need to be considerate of others, use common sense, use foresight when you are planning your troll instead of knee-jerk reactions, and most importantly always ere on the side of safety. We don't need any "road rage" instances out on the lake, there are plenty of fish for everyone!